MURAL - Maynooth University Research Archive Library



    Patterns of comorbidity associated with ICD-11 PTSD among older adults in the United States


    Fox, Robert and Hyland, Philip and McHugh Power, Joanna and Coogan, Andrew (2020) Patterns of comorbidity associated with ICD-11 PTSD among older adults in the United States. Psychiatry Research, 290 (113171). ISSN 0165-1781

    [img]
    Preview
    Download (4MB) | Preview


    Share your research

    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn GooglePlus Email more...



    Add this article to your Mendeley library


    Abstract

    Little research has been conducted on posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) comorbidity among older adults regarding the description of PTSD in the 11th version of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11). This study sought to provide evidence of a dimensional model of psychopathology using the ‘Hierarchical Taxonomy of Psychopathology’ (HiTOP) model as a theoretical framework to explain patterns of ICD-11 PTSD comorbidity. Distinct patterns of ICD-11 PTSD comorbidity among a nationally representative sample (n = 530) of adults aged 60 years and older from the United States were examined using latent class analysis (LCA). Covariates associated with comorbidity classes were assessed through multinomial logistic regression. ICD-11 PTSD was highly comorbid with other psychopathologies. LCA results favoured a two-class solution. Class 1 (71.7%) was characterised by moderate probabilities for major depressive disorder and alcohol use disorder; Class 2 (28.3%) was characterised by a moderate-high probability of general psychopathology and was associated with lower social support, spousal/partner physical abuse, and history of attempted suicide. PTSD was highly comorbid with other disorders among older adults. Distinct patterns of PTSD comorbidity exist among this cohort and these findings can aid clinicians and researchers in understanding and predicting maladaptive responses to trauma and associated psychopathology.

    Item Type: Article
    Additional Information: © 2020 The Authors. Published by Elsevier B.V. This is an open access article under the CC BY license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/BY/4.0/). Cite as: Robert Fox, Philip Hyland, Joanna McHugh Power, Andrew N. Coogan, Patterns of comorbidity associated with ICD-11 PTSD among older adults in the United States, Psychiatry Research, Volume 290, 2020, 113171, ISSN 0165-1781, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2020.113171. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165178120304492)
    Keywords: Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD); ICD-11; Older adults; Comorbidity; HiTOP; Psychopathology;
    Academic Unit: Assisting Living & Learning,ALL institute
    Faculty of Science and Engineering > Psychology
    Faculty of Science and Engineering > Research Institutes > Human Health Institute
    Item ID: 15056
    Identification Number: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2020.113171
    Depositing User: Dr. Andrew Coogan
    Date Deposited: 24 Nov 2021 15:02
    Journal or Publication Title: Psychiatry Research
    Publisher: Elsevier
    Refereed: Yes
    URI:

    Repository Staff Only(login required)

    View Item Item control page

    Downloads

    Downloads per month over past year